Friday, August 04, 2006

Data Structures and other Such Rubbish

So today was our first exam opportunity for the Greatly Dreaded Data Structures Module. All in all I have to say it was quite an interesting experience. Watching all your friends stress (try to rebuild the wall of hope of any kind of success which is rapidly crumbling around their ears) while you simply embrace the failure gracefully (throwitcatchitgobbledeegook) definitely makes it for the books… or at least a blog then. After several conversations which involved the remaining Cartoon Hero (who will henceforth be referred to as “The Remaining Cartoon Hero Whose Name Shan’t Be Mentioned”) describing the GDDSM (inter alia) a “void”, “black abyss of nothingness” and “the ultimate vacuum,” I think I’ll be glad to call failing such a failable thing a fine art form. I mean, I could marvel for hours about the fact that we spend more money printing pages we will never look at twice (because of course the GDDSM exam is open-book by the great grace of the GDDSM Powers that Be, sometimes called the course coordinators) and a text book we can’t understand than I ever spent on anything I actually wanted. It must be said that this was highlighted in the clearest possible light (as is usually done when such situations come to be and I try my hardest to suppress the thought) by Her Respected Legendary Cynic of Noteness.

What is that? That frighteningly sharp clarity that comes with the promise of impending doom? Here it is. My life can go one of two ways from here. Surrender to the black abyss of nothingness or change my degree to BCom human resources. Surely it is the answer to every question that sounds like, “What now?” and I’ll simply die before even thinking about contemplating considering Informatics. Rehab for CS students much? No thanks.

So here we are. The GDDSM PtB are out to get us and there’s nowhere to run to. So I’ll sit right here, carry on telling myself its art and brace myself for another 3 years or so doing this module. Who ever thought art could you make you feel so cold eh?

Aah yes, the cold. It’s cold.

7 comments:

queen_Lestat said...

A cartoon hero person? hmmmm sounds like a little something a certain other blogger coined to describe a certain group of some vaguely certain CS people...

WhiteBird said...

'I’ll be glad to call failing such a failable thing a fine art form.'

It's a funny thing, an exquisitely human thing I think, that failure tends to lend a sense of poetry to our lives. I don't know why that is, but i do know that it proves that it proves that human beings *are* poetic by nature, that if the atheists disdain the notion of meaning being being encrypted in the very matrix of the universe, they cannot dismiss the sense of meaning that is encrypted in the very fabric of humanness. The aesthetic of the abyss is the poetry of despair. To experience such banality with grace is our access to it.

My point? I think anyone who can see failure as an art form is taking the first step to wisdom, subtelty.

WhiteBird said...

'I’ll be glad to call failing such a failable thing a fine art form.'

It's a funny thing, an exquisitely human thing I think, that failure tends to lend a sense of poetry to our lives. I don't know why that is, but i do know that it proves that it proves that human beings *are* poetic by nature, that if the atheists disdain the notion of meaning being being encrypted in the very matrix of the universe, they cannot dismiss the sense of meaning that is encrypted in the very fabric of humanness. The aesthetic of the abyss is the poetry of despair. To experience such banality with grace is our access to it.

My point? I think anyone who can see failure as an art form is taking the first step to wisdom, subtlety.

WhiteBird said...

Sorry for the mistakes. Duh.

CorpseKicker said...

WhiteBird: That was of-epic-proportions... nice to think that maybe on some other-worldly level, i'm not yet completely dillusional.

neverBlink said...

whitebird>> Thank you for clarifying your point because the rest of your post was so utterly verbose it would have been impossible to decipher the meaning of your words.

WhiteBird said...

My apologies to neverblink for flouting the values of democratic discourse; I shall write more simply in future for the sake of the less verbose.