Monday, July 21, 2008

Geeks Belong Somewhere

Something made me log into my long lost Tickle account on Sunday morning. My profile is proof that I once believed that
  • I don't suck.
  • I think pets are in my box of things I want but can never have.
  • My most over-used phrase is MY word.
  • The perfect pizza is Chicken and Mushroom. EXTRA Mushroom!
  • My first thought when I wake up is [Regarding my alarm clock] What the hell is that sound and why does it feel like it's supposed to be telling me something?
  • and My favorite memory is the 24th of March 2005: A day that epitomised the pure fresh freedom of my first year of university.


That last one still holds. Nothing better has happened since. Nothing Bloggable.

Like most things perfect, student life is temporary. I remember the 24th of March. I remember the moment I decided it was a perfect day. I was alone. None of the people I sometimes associate that perfection with were around. There was bird shit all around my feet, a canopy of purple-blue blossoms over my head and inside it, equations, logic puzzles and Java Essentials. Perfection.
One of the aforementioned people, Nicole, had her 21st birthday last week and celebrated it by inviting a selection of unsociable people to her house to eat, drink, talk and do other sorts of social things. This might seem like a futile effort, but somehow it worked. It might've just been the trampoline she strategically placed right outside her house or the promise of free food, but for me it felt like I was a student for a night again. My feet were covered in bird shit again instead of tight black leather boots I can't move in. Conversations were about things I liked talking about and not bullshit to fill up an awkward moment with people you have to see, rather than want to see.

If perfecton is temporary, is going back to do my honours kind of like kicking a corpse?

7 comments:

anti-verbose said...

just kick the damn corpse :P (sorry, just wanted to post a comment and kicking is always fun :) )

Tai said...

I think it will be like kicking the corpse if u r expecting it to be the same as ur undergrad....

There'll be parts of honours that'll be different from undergrad...

Celebrate the differences and enjoy kicking the similarities... but just know that they are merely similarities and cannot be the same as the memories u hold in your head...

nicole said...

this really cracked me up...and everyone i told about it. some of the engineers say they themselves expected to be anti-social lot...but apparently they've figured that cs people are slightly worse...i'm not so sure. whatever the case, i think gems are to be found in the cs dept.
anyway, for me it's the best thing to hear that i could've had some lil part to play in that spec of perfection that you may have felt.

and honours will be fun. don't worry :) but like tai said...i don't think you can't expect it to be like undergrad.

nicole said...

oops i meant don't think you can expect it to be like that.

anti-verbose said...

hmm..I feel i need to make a more constructive comment:z..JUST KICK THAT DAMN CORPSE!!! ;P..Ok enuf of the lemons *whispers*PSST!..KICK THE COORRPPSSE!! and WHat's the ANSWER to number 1!..HEhe..

ok on a serious note(what?..Sticky Note? :P..not funny i know, but i had to :) ).Anyway....

Someone once told me that the perfect person is not one who is faultless but one who does his best even though he has faults. So if one takes that and puts it into a situation or incident, It sould be that the perfect situation or time is not one that is faultless, but one that manifest its self in such a way that it covers its faults and looks perfect.

So technically (if what i'm saying makes any sense) every situation is perfect, we just need to look beyond the faults and towrads it's perfection :). I dont think i answerd your question :?, but i dont think perfection is temporary, its just misunderstood :)

pApAcEdA said...

I think you'd be going back to kick the corpse and finding that it's not as dead as you thought! It wont be the same but it's still there, waiting for you to finish it off...
BTW i wasnt surprised that unsociable people could be sociable -they're the kind of people who only come alive when they can relate!

Yaseen said...

You can't relive the past... unless you have a time machine hidden somewhere.

But if you want to create a better future, do the honours. Even if it's for no other reason than that those with postgrad degrees generally climb the corporate ladder faster than their undergrad counterparts. Plus, it will add a whole new dimension to the way you think.

Or so they say...